Microsoft Security Essentials v4.0.1111.0 Beta
Microsoft Security Essentials might be the surprising player on the antivirus market and although wearing the badge of the Redmond-based giant, people are still reluctant when it comes to installing it.
At the first glance, Microsoft Security Essentials might seem a pretty basic and simple solution that's not able to provide better protection than one of the many freebies out there. We mean, just a 7 MB installer kit? Freeware? Developed by Microsoft? There must be a catch somewhere...
It's not actually. Microsoft Security Essentials works as great as any other top antivirus products out there. Easy and fast installation, very fast scanning processes and amazingly quick updates delivered to you computer as fast as they're released by the folks over at the Redmond-based software manufacturer.
Although its Microsoft badge would recommend this app as a number one from all points of view, Microsoft Security Essentials is not that great when talking about interface. It's enough to help you get your job done, but nothing too fancy, nothing too shiny and nothing that could make you feel like you're using an application developed by one of the biggest companies in the world.
Key features of "Microsoft Security Essentials":
· Comprehensive malware protection
· Simple, free download
· Automatic updates
· Easy to use
· For XP - CPU with clock speed of 500 MHz or higher
· For XP - Memory: 256 MB RAM or higher
· For Vista / W7 - CPU with clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher
· For Vista / W7 - Memory: 1 GB RAM or higher
· VGA (Display): 800 x 600 or higher
· Storage: 140 MB of available hard-disk space
· An Internet connection is required for installation and to download the latest virus and spyware definitions for Microsoft Microsoft Security Essentials
· Internet Browser (IE or Firefox)
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Enhanced protection through automatic malware remediation: The Beta program will clean highly impacting malware infections automatically, with no required user interaction.
· Enhanced performance: The Beta includes many performance improvements to make sure your PC performance isn’t compromised.
· Simplified UI – Simplified UI makes Microsoft Security Essentials Beta easier to use.
· New and improved protection engine: The updated engine offers enhanced detection with cleanup capabilities and better performance.