WinRAR v4.0.1 : Compress, Encrypt, Package and Backup
WinRAR is a powerful compression tool with many integrated additional functions to help you organize your compressed archives.
WinRAR is an application that has the ability to replace all the other compression tools, providing support for most compression formats, including RAR, ZIP, CAB, ARJ, LZH, ACE, TAR, GZip, UUE, ISO, BZIP2, Z and 7-Zip.
WinRAR puts you ahead of the crowd when it comes to compression. By consistently creating smaller archives, WinRAR is often faster than the competition. This will save you disc space, transmission costs AND valuable working time as well.
WinRAR is ideal for multimedia files. WinRAR automatically recognizes and selects the best compression method. The special compression algorithm compresses multimedia files, executables and object libraries particularly well.
WinRAR allows you to split archives into separate volumes easily, making it possible to save them on several disks for example.
WinRAR is also ideal, if you are sending data through the web. Its 128 bit password encryption and its authenticated signature technology will give you the peace of mind you have been looking for.
WinRAR is shareware, meaning you have the chance to thoroughly test it. The program can be used absolutely free of charge for 40 days!
WinRAR licenses are valid for all available language and platform versions. If you have purchased several licenses, you can even mix versions to meet your own personal needs.
Key features of "WinRAR":
· WinRAR introduces an original compression algorithm. It provides high compression ratios on executable files, object libraries, large text files, etc.
· WinRAR offers an optional compression algorithm highly optimized for multimedia data.
· WinRAR supports files and archives up to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 bytes in size, about 9000PB. The number of archived files is unlimited for all practical purposes.
· WinRAR provides complete support for RAR and ZIP 2.0 archives and is able to unpack CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR, ISO, Z, 7Z archives.
· WinRAR supports NTFS file security and data streams.
· WinRAR offers both a classic interactive Windows interface and the command line interface.
· WinRAR provides functionality for creating a 'solid' archive, which can raise the compression ratio by 10% - 50% over more common methods, particularly when packing large numbers of small files.
· WinRAR offers the ability to create and change SFX archives using default and external SFX modules.
· WinRAR offers the ability to create a multi-volume archive as SFX.
· WinRAR offers a number of service functions, such as setting a password, adding archive and file comments. Even physically damaged archives may be repaired and an archive may be locked to prevent further changes.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Improved detection of UTF-8 encoding in file names in ZIP archives. WinRAR attempts to recognize Unicode names, even when UTF-8 flag is not present in ZIP archive headers.
· If switch -t was set in RAR environment variable, WinRAR "View" command failed to open archived files;
· ""Autodetect" string" option in "Define volume sizes" dialog did not work;
· If "Split to volumes, size" in default compression profile was set to "Autodetect", "Delete" and "Add comment" commands refused to modify ZIP archives.